Montag, 17. September 2018

On corporal punishment



One of your tasks as a man is to start a family and raise your children as good Christians. This includes teaching the kids discipline. When I grew up, my mother took care of some of the neighbor’s kids while their parents were at work. She was a housewife, so she had some time to work as a babysitter. One of the kids who she took care of was a mess. He would curse his parents, would bite them, scream in public, for the only purpose of embarrassing them. He was 8 or 9 years old.

When I saw one of his riots I thought:  I would be the same, had my parents not taught me discipline. Reasonable and modest corporal punishment is, according to the Bible, a good thing. It contributes to the well-being of the child and is part of good parenting. However, it shouldn’t be overdone. A child should never take any physical harm from corporal punishment.

 “Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.”(Proverbs 23:13-14) 

How could someone who has no respect for his parents, have respect for God?  I received some taps on my butt when I was a child. It taught me respect in front of authority. I consider “tapping” a child as a reasonable way of punishment. Some parents need to overcome themselves to hit their loved child, but the contrary is also true. You should never hit a child out of aggression, but only for the purpose of teaching them discipline.

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen